Mavericks and slow Finder

Last weekend I upgraded my MBP to Mavericks. I have been waiting with the upgrade because I didn’t want to have problem with my computer so I figured I’ll wait for some bugfixes before upgrading. So last weekend I decided to take the jump and upgrade. The first thing I discovered was that HyperSwitch was not working as it should and I still have not found a solution to the problem. The next problem was that Finder was incredibly slow when showing the content in folders. Today I was googling for a solution and I encountered a solution by Snaggletooth_DE, https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5492808?start=50&tstart=0.

The solution is to edit the auto_master file.

  1. Open up a Terminal window
  2. Open up the file auto_master
     $ sudo nano /etc/auto_master
    
  3. Comment out the row “/net  -hosts -nobrowse,hidefromfinder,nosuid”
     #/net                    -hosts          -nobrowse,hidefromfinder,nosuid
    
  4. Save the file with Ctrl+X
  5. Now restart the computer.
     $ sudo restart
    

After I have done the changes my Finder was as responsive as it used to be. I decided to test and see if I could reproduce the problem by uncomment the same row. So I did that and restarted. The funny thing now was that Finder was still responsive so I decided to go with that and close the case.